Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Scarf: Not an Accessory, But a Way of Life

Please believe that I am not exaggerating when I say that all the women here wear scarves.

They wear them all the time, outdoors and in, summer and winter. (OK, I am only guessing, but it seems like if you're going to wear a big wool scarf in August you might well wear one in December too). Occasionally it's a light, printed silk type of thing, but more often it is in fact a wool scarf.

I am pretty sure people pegged me as a foreigner right off due to my lack of scarf. I imagine it goes something like this:

1. No scarf.
2. Lots of black hair.
3. Funny accent when speaking Danish.

But no more! I recently finished knitting myself a scarf. The pattern, Dimma (which is Swedish for "mist") comes from a Swedish knitting blog, so I've named it the Scandinavian Scarf.
Clearly I'm going to need an even larger, woollier scarf for winter. But that's OK, because knitting is a serious hobby here. You can even buy yarn in the grocery store. For now, my Scandinavian Scarf and I are ready to brave the first days of fall.

2 comments:

  1. I love the scarf! Looks really dainty and pretty on you. You are a woman of so many talents! Now all you gotta do is dye your hair to trick folks until your Danish comes along. Can't wait to see you as a blonde!

    ReplyDelete