Monday, February 28, 2011

Lucky Linguists and Local Laughs

Tomorrow is a big day for me, E. I'll be heading over to my local "SprogCenter" to take the Module 2 oral Danish exam. Last week I took the written portion--a 2 hour test focusing on creative writing, listening comprehension, and reading comprehension--and passed. That entitles me to move on to the 25 minute exam tomorrow.

In the written exam, we were required to write a letter to a Danish friend, explaining that we had just moved, and describing our new neighborhood. I adopted the persona of a fictional librarian and modern art lover named Gitte. We also read a story about a robbery in a butcher's shop, and listened to a story and a dialogue before answering questions about the material.

Tomorrow I'll be speaking with a proctor about any two of five topics--three novellas I've read from the LaerDansk library; "my education and work;" or, "the city of Århus." After that, my conversational partner Bulgarian J and I will be assigned a topic and asked to chat about it for 4-5 minutes. We've been practicing on topics like these:

what I did this weekend
movies
North Africa
ice cream
beer
my family
museums
music
my dream job

So I need all your good wishes! Kryds fingerne!

And in the meantime, this little video about the Danish language might amuse you. I found it pretty funny myself, and so did two actual Danes. It originally aired on a Norwegian TV show not unlike "Saturday Night Live," so all the subtitles are in Norwegian, not Danish. Check it out--after all, how many chances for Scandinavian hilarity do you usually get?


1 comment:

  1. How did the exam go, my dear?! I love the video...and to think - you are now the "international community" who can help teach the Danes their own crazy language!

    ReplyDelete