Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Bicycles and Icicles

The snow just keeps on coming! It hasn't been melting very fast, and it has been falling fast, so it's accumulating everywhere. Native Danes say this is the earliest major snow in many years. We've been trying to take advantage of it, and enjoy it as much as we can, and of course that means lots of pictures. So, here are some more shots of the frozen land we now call home.

We had some serious snow on Saturday. I was in it!


E was too! Notice her new knitted wool hood. Feel free to compliment her on her fine knitting.


A bicicle! Get it? Anyway, I'm not sure how this happens, but this bike was totally encased in ice. Personally, I think it's shameful - any real Dane should never leave his bike in one place long enough to freeze like this!


Some awesome icicles. I see these on my way to work.


This is a little lane very near our house. Saturday afternoon, they had a Christmas market there, with music, hot drinks, and various crafts. It was awesome. I felt like I was in a movie. Somehow, the Christmas traditions just feel more real when you are in real snow, it's freezing cold, and you're on a little lane that's been there for hundreds of years (I'm guessing here, but it's in an old part of town, where some things, like the churches, are 800+ years old).


And there's one such church in the background, the Aarhus Domkirke. We're actually going there tonight to hear Handel's Messiah.


You can really see the snow falling here!


The main pedestrian zone gets lit up beautifully. We had a really nice walk here on Saturday.

3 comments:

  1. BRRRR!!! I'll take blistering heat, oppressive humidity, and no A/C over nonstop snow anyday. Although it sure is beautiful, wow. That photo of the bicycle totally makes me think of The Lion, The With, and the Wardrobe.

    On a completely unrelated note, have you ever heard the Danes mention Tycho Brahe when getting up during meals? See this article from the NYT to discover why I ask (it's in the middle, around the 7th or 8th paragraph):http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/30/science/30tierney.html?src=me&ref=homepage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, crazy. Awesome photos though, I love the bicicle. Looks like... I guess fun. But only because you're smiling in the photos, hehe.

    ReplyDelete