Thursday, December 11, 2014

December 10-- Advent at ADAFT 2014!

It's a funny truth that Europeans, generally, do not share the wild Nutcracker-mania that sweeps the US every December.  The Nutcracker is actually Russian--well of course, right?-- and didn't hit American shores until sometime in the mid-1960s.  But hit it did, and I can tell you that all American ballet dancers have a crazy love-hate relationship with this ballet.  On the one hand, we're sick of it; on the other, so many good memories!  On the one hand, why can't we dance more "serious" ballets?  On the other--look how much money the company made off it this year!  On the one hand, every Tom, Dick and Harry, thinks they know about ballet from having seen a Nutcracker once; on the other, people are actually interested in your work!

So you won't be surprised to know that my first couple years in Denmark felt like a decadent holiday, a totally relaxing break from overgrown mice and saccharine sugarplums.  And then, of course, I started to miss it.

And you won't be surprised to know that I actually bought tickets to see a Nutcracker last year, when Den Kongelige Ballet (Royal Danish Ballet) brought their new production to Aarhus.  Overall, I was underwhelmed.  I've seen a lot of Nuts, and this one wasn't even original-- it was the Balanchine version that New York City Ballet does.  And I didn't think that many of the dancers felt comfortable with that style.  But I did love the sets and costumes.   I loved the inspired blend of old and new; and that the production looked so Danish, so classically European and yet so modern and bright.

See for yourself.






No comments:

Post a Comment